ZocdocAnswersHow can I reduce stress in my life?

Question

How can I reduce stress in my life?

I am a 26 year old actress who is always practicing, working, etc. and never has time for sleep. How can I keep myself from going crazy?

Answer

This is a great issue to discuss with your primary care physician. Finding balance in your life is a difficult, but very important, thing to do for not only your mental health, but also your physical health. Going, going, going constantly wears you down and makes you more prone to get sick or suffer from anxiety or depression. It is important to prioritize your life. Make a list of all the things that are going on in your life in order of importance and then try to let go of or lower your expectations for the things on the bottom of the list. Try to get at least 8 hours of sleep every night. You will be able to handle stress much better when you are well rested. You will also be able to memorize lines easier if you get a full night of sleep. It is also tempting to reach for the caffeine and junk food when you are stressed but this will only make you feel worse in the long run. Too much caffeine can make you anxious and make it difficult to fall asleep and junk food will cause you to feel sluggish and will drain you of energy. Try to find some time to exercise as well as this is great for stress. And of course, you should see your primary care provider to discuss your stress level.