Is marijuana dangerous?

I've heard so many conflicting things. I have used it before to sleep at night and help regulate my mood swings, is this really unsafe?
Marijuana is by far the most controversial illegal drug. The controversy lies in the fact that it is known to cause harm to the body, but does not cause the same types of detrimental problems as other illegal drugs. Outside of the clinical situations of cancer, chemotherapy side effects, and glaucoma, there are few medical reasons for one to use marijuana. In many ways this makes marijuana much like alcohol in that we have found good use for it, but it definitely can cause harm. No physician is going to recommend that you use marijuana for sleep at night and to regulate your mood. There are two reasons for this. One is that smoking marijuana is harmful to your lungs just like cigarette smoke, and slows your thinking. The other reason is that we have safer, more effective methods of assisting in sleep and stabilizing mood. Your use of marijuana could be covering up a mood disorder which should be diagnosed and treated appropriately. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. The two of you can discuss your issues that you have been using marijuana for. He or she will not judge you and will appreciate you being open. The doctor will be able to figure out how best to help you with these issues and even answer any question you have about the risks of the recreational use of marijuana. Good luck.

• Dr. Robert Baratz
    Dr. Robert Baratz MD, DDS
    759 Granite St.
    Braintree, MA 02184
  • Dr. Curtis Scott Horn
    Dr. Curtis Scott Horn MD
    6402 N New Braunfels Ave
    San Antonio, TX 78209
  • Dr. Rekha Singh
    Dr. Rekha Singh MD
    1300 Peachtree Industrial Blvd
    Suwanee, GA 30024