Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Is a testicle lump something I should check out?"


Who should I see to examine the lump on my testicle?


If you have detected a lump on your testicle, then you should seek out the care of your primary care physician. A lump on the testicle could be a sign of testicular cancer, which is the most common form of cancer in men between the ages of 15 and 35 years. Testicular cancer can also cause other symptoms, such as a sense of heaviness or discomfort in the testicle, painless enlargement of the testicle, and back or pelvic pain.

See a doctor who can help

Find a Primary care-doctors near you

Your physician can repeat the physical exam to confirm your suspicion. You may be referred you to get a scrotal ultrasound as part of a further work-up. The ultrasound can detect any abnormal growth in the testicles. If an abnormality is seen, then a referral can be made to a urologist for further investigation. If a biopsy is needed, then it can be done under ultrasound guidance. If there is a suspicion of cancer, then blood tests can also be performed, as certain types of testicular cancers secrete different chemicals and hormones into the bloodstream.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.