ZocdocAnswersShould I switch to a different birth control method after I turn 30?

Question

Should I switch to a different birth control method after I turn 30?

Are the shots better than the pills?

Answer

The type of birth control method you can choose is generally not affected by your age, except in certain circumstances. There are no reasons to switch methods as long as you are happy with the method you have. People that should not be on hormonal birth control include women over 35 who smoke, women with a history of blood clots, or women with a personal history or strong family history of certain cancers (such as breast cancer). If you are thinking about switching away from the typically combination birth control pills, there are other options. The depot shot is one option and requires only one shot every 3 months. It does cause some weight gain, and it takes longer for you to regain your fertility. Women who do not plan on having children for at least 2 years should consider an intrauterine device (IUD). This is a small device that sits in the uterus, prevents pregnancy and can even make periods very light or go away completely. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OBGYN. The two of you can discuss your current birth control method and decide if a different method is desirable given your current situation. There are so many options out there, you may ask your doctor to give you a pamphlet that can help you decide. It is a personal decision that only you can make. Good luck.