ZocdocAnswersIs breast tenderness normal during your period?

Question

Is breast tenderness normal during your period?

My breasts feel so tender I don't want to be touched at all. What can I do?

Answer

Many women experience a multitude of bothersome symptoms both before and during their period. Breast tenderness is one of these symptoms and is very common. The reason for the tenderness is due to an increase in hormone levels. The tenderness is usually most marked in the few days before your period actually starts. Symptoms may range from mild to severe. Breasts often feel swollen as well as tender. It is important to see your primary care provider or gynecologist to discuss your symptoms and make sure you have a physical exam including a breast exam and discuss appropriate treatment. It can be helpful to keep track of your periods and what days your breasts are the most tender. Taking an over the counter anti-inflammatory such as ibuprofen can help as well as wearing a very supportive bra (even at night if they bother you during sleep) to minimize pain. Also, limiting caffeine and salt in your diet a few days before and during your period may help. If your symptoms are severe and you have no contraindications your doctor might discuss starting birth control pills as these can help with a variety of PMS symptoms.