search

location

insurance

close

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Why does my penis bend to the side?"

ZocdocAnswersWhy does my penis bend to the side?

Question

Is this normal? 19 yr old guy

Answer

It is actually very unusual for a penis to be completely straight. Usually, most men will have a slight bend or curve in the penis in one direction or another. This bend or curve may only be noticeable when the penis is fully erect. If the bend you have is minimal and does not cause any pain, discomfort, or difficult with sexual intercourse, then this is likely just your normal variant and you do not need to worry about it. On the other hand if the bend is extreme and does result in either pain or difficulty with sex, then you may have a condition called Peyronie's disease. Peyronie's disease results from a thickened patch of skin and scar tissue that forms on the penis, distorting its shape. No one totally understands what causes Peyronie's disease, but it can be quite debilitating. It is more common in older men, but it can occasionally occur in men your age. If you think you have Peyronie's disease, you should see a doctor. You could start with your primary care doctor or go to a urology specialist. Various treatments for Peyronie's disease are available, including various injected medications and surgery.

Need more info?

See an urologist today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.