ZocdocAnswersCan PTSD get better with medication?

Question

Can PTSD get better with medication?

I am trying to convince my boyfriend to take PTSD medication but he refuses. Does this method help to make people with PTSD better?

Answer

I am sorry to hear that your boyfriend is suffering from PTSD. PTSD is an often debilitating, chronic medical condition that definitely requires treatment and support. One of the best things you can do to support your boyfriend is to encourage him to followup with his psychiatrist for management of this condition. As you know PTSD often develops after some traumatic or very stressful life event. Some symptoms can include mood problems, high levels of anxiety, flashbacks to the traumatic event, and sleep disturbances. There are several highly effective treatments for PTSD. Some people with PTSD for example benefit a great deal from counseling and therapy sessions. These can help them learn to recognize the symptoms of PTSD and learn to develop strategies to deal with them. However, in addition to therapy, most people with PTSD do require medications. There are several effective classes of medications that are commonly used to control and alleviate the symptoms of PTSD. Only your boyfriend's psychiatrist will be able to make a full assessment of the situation and make recommendations about which medications might be appropriate for him. Therefore, again, the first step is for you to encourage him to meet with his psychiatrist.