ZocdocAnswersShould I shave my pubic region if I have crabs?

Question

Should I shave my pubic region if I have crabs?

Is this the easiest way to get rid of crabs? I am not sure but I think Ihave them.

Answer

Crabs is the common name for an infestation of the pubic hair area with lice. The medical term for this condition is pediculosis pubis. Pediculosis pubis is a sexually transmitted infection in most cases, brought on by sexual contact with another individual infected with the lice. It is less likely to pick the infection up from contaminated towels and other objects. The major symptoms of pediculosis pubis is incredible itching of the pubic hair region. On close inspection, small lice and nits (egg sacs attached to the hair shafts) should be visible in order to confirm the diagnosis. If you think you have pediculosis pubis, you should get in to see your primary care doctor. Shaving is not the easiest or most effective way to remove the infection. Rather, one of several prescription medications (creams and lotions) that kill lice are the way to go. After confirming the diagnosis, your primary care doctor will be able to prescribe one of these medications for you. If the diagnosis is confirmed, you should also work to clean all of your clothing and bedding, as there is a chance that lice will remain there and could reinfect. Any sexual partners should also be treated.