Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by licensed doctors

"Does cervical cancer cause bleeding after sex?"


I am a 23 year old woman. Every time my boyfriend and I have sex I bleed the day after. What is wrong with me?


Your concern for something not right in this situation is right on. Normally one does not see menstrual type of bleeding after sexual intercourse. So if this occurs on a regular basis, then you should have this follow up either with a primary care provider or a gynecologist.

See a doctor who can help

Find a Obgyns near you

The first question one needs to figure out is whether you have a bleeding disorder, or just easy bruising? If that is negative then one needs investigate further to ensure that you don't have anything serious hidden. Further, if you have not had a GYN exam recently then that should be scheduled. Certainly cervical cancer is the most important disease to rule out so if you have not had a gyn exam, that is something that you should get done. THe exam is uncomfortable but should not "hurt". Things that you should ask your OBGYN or family doctor include a GYN exam, brush biopsy sample of the cervix for culture and cytology. Obviously the more common etiology includes cervical cancer, chlamydia, gonorrhea, trichomoniasis, vaginitis, cervical polyps for example. It is important to get the exam soon because most these conditions are treatable, often curable, even cervical cancer when detected early.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.