ZocdocAnswersHow can I tell if I have herpes or a yeast infection?

Question

How can I tell if I have herpes or a yeast infection?

Both of them itche, right? My vagina is itching but there really isn't a discharge.

Answer

I think that the symptoms of a herpes outbreak and a yeast infection are different enough that you will be able to tell the difference. A herpes infection is caused by the herpes simplex virus. It results in the development of sores or ulcers that can be very painful There is also a burning sensation that occurs that can result in a desire to itch the area. It does not result in an increase in vaginal discharge. If you notice small sores on your genitalia that are painful, then herpes is possible. A yeast infection is caused by an overgrowth of the fungus Candida in the vagina. The symptoms include an itching vulva, and white cottage cheese like vaginal discharge. Without the discharge, a yeast infection is somewhat less likely. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OBGYN. He or she can take a more detailed history of your symptoms and perform a thorough physical exam. If you have any visible discharge, your doctor will need to get a sample of it to look under the microscope. If you have open sores that look like herpes sores then your doctor may diagnose you with genital herpes. Either way, you can begin getting treatment.