ZocdocAnswersWhy does my eyelid twitch in the mornings?

Question

Why does my eyelid twitch in the mornings?

Every morning it's the same, twitching for several hours. It seems like it's getting worse and worse. What should I do?

Answer

Eyelid twitching is a very common problem that we call blepharospasm. This is an involuntary contraction or twitch of the eyelid muscle. The eyelid twitching can last a few minutes to a few hours. Sometimes it comes and never returns and other times it recurs day after day. Most of the time, people with this problem receive the diagnosis benign essential blepharospasm. This basically means that we don't know why it occurs, but it doesn't cause any real harm to the body. However, it can be quite annoying and can make it difficult to do things like work at a computer or even drive. Triggers for this type of eyelid twitching can include fatigue, stress, anxiety, and sleep deprivation. Other times the cause is unknown. In your case, it seems that you have this problem no matter what you do. This is the type of blepharospasm that I would refer to a specialist. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with a neurologist. The reason I am suggesting this is because your symptoms are getting worse and happen every day. Therefore the involvement of a specialist is probably a good idea. The neurologist will take a detailed history of your symptoms and perform a comprehensive neurological exam. After that, he or she can recommend the appropriate treatment.