ZocdocAnswersCan stress make my eyelid twitch?

Question

Can stress make my eyelid twitch?

Anytiem I get really angry at my kids my eyelid starts to twitch, but now I've noticed it does it even when I'm stressed at work. How can I fix this?

Answer

Blepharospasm, a medical term used to describe involuntary twitching of the eyelid, can be related to emotional stress, as well as fatigue, medications, and other issues. Benign essential blepharospasm (BEB) is a somewhat rare type of dystonia, or abnormal sustained type of spasm or muscle contraction that occurs in about 1 in every 20 thousand people. Any muscle can and will have some minor twitches with fatigue, but the eyelid is commonly affected. The cause of BEB appears to originate in the brain itself, and there are treatments that can help the most serious cases, which occasionally result in functional blindness. One commonly used and successful treatment involves the local injection of botox. For the majority of people, minor spasms of small muscles are an unremarkable detail of every day life. Dry eyes can require frequent blinking, and allergies are often a cause of dry, irritated eyes. If you feel that your eyelids are twitching more and more, and that this is affecting either your vision or quality of life (or if you are otherwise concerned), please speak to your doctor. He or she will be able to address your questions and provide treatment options and referrals as needed.