Will I need a hysterectomy if I have ovarian cancer?

I have ovarian cancer and the doctors are going to test to see how bad it is. Will I have to have a hysterectomy if it's really bad?
Ovarian cancer is a significant diagnosis. This can cause a great deal of concern for you and your doctors. I would recommend that you discuss your questions with a doctor who specializes in ovarian cancer -- known as a gynecologic oncologist. There are many variations, stages and types of ovarian cancer so knowing exactly what the treatment plan should be is difficult without more information. As you are aware, cancer is a process where the body's cells (the fundamental unit of any organism) begins to grow uncontrollably. As the cells grow and grow, this develops a tumor. Some tumors are benign and cause no real problems -- but some are malignant and can be very serious. These serious tumors can spread to other parts of the body (known as a metastasis) and therefore be very difficult to treat. The type and stage of your tumor will determine treatment plan. In general, a hysterectomy is not needed for ovarian cancer. A hysterectomy is the surgical removal of the uterus. The uterus is not often affected by ovarian cancer (or it can be). If anything, you will need surgery to remove the ovaries. It is possible, that the tumor is stuck on the uterus therefore will need to have it removed -- but this is less likely. Talk to your doctor for more information. Good luck!