ZocdocAnswersCan abdominal wall surgery lessen my cramps?

Question

Can abdominal wall surgery lessen my cramps?

I am a 22-year-old graduate student with very bad abdominal cramps. Can this surgery help?

Answer

Abdominal surgery is not a typical approach to treating abdominal cramps. In particular, abdominal wall surgery, which you mention in your questions, is typically used for repairing hernias and other structural problems. If you have a hernia, then yes, it is likely that the surgery will improve your abdominal cramps. Otherwise, it would be very unlikely to be indicated. I strongly suggest that you work with your primary care doctor to figure out what the cause of your abdominal cramps is. After speaking with your primary care doctor they may decide that you need a referral to a gastroenterologist for further help, or they may feel that the problem is simple enough to be managed by them. There are many potential causes for abdominal cramps. These include common things like lactose intolerance, which causes pain after eating dairy products. Heartburn and inflammation of the stomach lining (gastritis) are also very common. If you have had recent travel, an intestinal infection may be a possibility. Irritable bowel syndrome is also very common, and is made worse by stress. Less common then these problems, but still worth considering, are inflammatory bowel disease and celiac disease. Your doctor will be able to rule these problems out.