ZocdocAnswersHow can I talk to my wife about my alcoholism?

Question

How can I talk to my wife about my alcoholism?

I am an alcoholic. My wife is in denial but I need help or else I won't get better. How can I talk to her? I am 36. We have been married for 8 years.

Answer

This is a tough question for a doctor to answer. This is because the right answer to the question is not only difficult to know, but is highly dependent on the details of your marriage and how the two of you communicate. The important part of this problem is that your recognize that you have a drinking problem. That is by far more important that how you will communicate this to your wife. Most likely, she knows you have a problem, but is afraid of bringing it up to you because she does not know how. I most cases, the best way for you to approach this is for you to bring it up to her face to face. Do so after you have thought about a plan to quite drinking. The first step to quitting drinking is for you to schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can discuss with you key strategies to quite drinking including group meetings (such as AA meetings) and occasionally medications that reduce your craving for alcohol. After you have made you plan on how to quit, let you wife know that you feel your drinking is a problem and you've decided to quit. I can't imagine she would be anything but happy.