ZocdocAnswersWill my daughter always need to carry her inhaler if she has asthma?

Question

Will my daughter always need to carry her inhaler if she has asthma?

We are going to a water park. Will she need her inhaler in a special pouch?

Answer

If your daughter has asthma, she should carry her rescue albuterol inhaler with her everywhere she goes. This may change someday if she finds that she does not need it later in life (some people experience a reduction in asthma symptoms as they age), but while she's young, I would not risk going anywhere without it. The reason is that you would not want to be in a situation where she would need it and not have it. Asthma does have the potential to be deadly if an attack were to be severe enough, and medical treatment were to be unavailable. Most inhalers will work even if they get wet. This is not to say that she should keep it on her person while she is swimming The medication should just be available if she begins feeling short of breath. This means that it can be kept by a responsible adult that is overseeing her while she is swimming. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your daughter's pediatrician. Pose this question to him or her. Her pediatrician knows her past medical history and the severity of her asthma. The severity of her asthma may result in a slightly different recommendation from her doctor. Good luck.