How can I increase my endurance when I'm an anemic?

I am a 30 year old anemic women who has always had very low endurance. What can I do to get stronger and increase my stamina?
One of the first things that you can do to improve your endurance is to correct your anemia, if you are able. Anemia is the medical name for having too few red blood cells in your body. Red blood cells carry oxygen, and so having too few of them causes your body to have a lack of oxygen and fatigue more quickly. In order to correct anemia appropriately, it is important to know why you are anemic. Many young women are anemic because of heavy menstrual cycles. These women can have some improvement in their blood levels if they increase their iron intake (an important building block of red blood cells), and occasionally through the use of oral contraceptives or other methods that help to closely regulate their periods. If you have a different cause of your anemia, the treatment will likely be different, but will be similar in that it will focus on addressing the primary cause as well as supplying the materials that your body needs to replace the blood cells that are lost, destroyed, or not created appropriately. Please speak with your doctor about the cause of your anemia, and which physical activities are appropriate for you to engage in.

Nearby Hematologists

Other Hematologists