ZocdocAnswersCan anyone have an aneurysm at any time?

Question

Can anyone have an aneurysm at any time?

One of my neighbors died this way and I worry about it. What should I do?

Answer

An aneurysm is a an outpouching or bulge in an artery. They can occur for a variety of reasons and in a variety of different places. An aneurysm can be a scary thing to have because they always have the potential to burst without warning. Two of the common types of aneurysms are cerebral vascular aneurysms and abdominal aortic aneurysms. The cerebral vascular aneurysms are the type that people often die from suddenly when they burst inside the brain. They can occur for many different reasons, but often they occur for reasons that are never known. The abdominal aortic aneurysm is also common but usually is associated with many years of high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and smoking. They are also more likely to be detected on a routine physical exam, and thus can be treated before they get too big. There are no routine screening tests for aneurysms because screening for them would be more likely to do harm than good. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. You can express your concern to him or her and discuss any symptoms you may be having. You can also discuss your past medical history and family history to see if you are at risk for an aneurysm. I hope that answer helped.