ZocdocAnswersWhat causes aneurysms?

Question

What causes aneurysms?

Does eating a lot of fried food contribute to aneurysms? I have a poor diet and I am thinking about my brain.

Answer

An aneurysm is an outpouching a bulge in an artery. Aneurysms are scary things to have because the sometimes have the potential to burst causing internal bleeding. The type of aneurysm that you are describing is a cerebral vascular aneurysm. These are the type that form in blood vessels of the skull and brain. They are a scary thing to have because they often produce few or no symptoms prior to bursting. Many of these types of aneurysms are caused by genetics, associated with other diseases such as polycystic kidney disease, or just randomly. They seem to be less associated with diet than other types of aneurysms. Another common type is the abdominal aortic aneurysm (or a triple A). A triple A is a type that is common and often associated with atherosclerosis, also known as hardening of the arteries. Atherosclerosis is associated with high cholesterol levels, high blood pressure, smoking, and diabetes. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can discuss your risk factors for aneurysms including cerebral aneurysms. If you have a family history of them, this would be worth noting. In addition, you can discuss ways to improve your diet to prevent the formation of aneurysms in the future.