ZocdocAnswersHow can I avoid getting ankle injuries?

Question

How can I avoid getting ankle injuries?

I've been running and I think about this all the time. I had an old injury from hischool thatI worry about

Answer

First off all, the key to avoiding ankle injuries is to where good footwear. It is quite common for runners who run a lot to wear out their shoes faster than they replace them. Make sure to pay close attention to how long you have been using your current shoes and to replace them at the recommended mileage interval. Shoes that are worn out do not provide much support and are more likely to predispose you to an ankle injury. Secondly, go to an athletic foot store and have your gait analyzed on a treadmill. The staff there will be able to help you determine whether you have a problem with pronation (rolling) of the foot when you run. If so, they will be able to recommend a brand of shoe that helps to correct this problem, as rolling also predisposes you to injury. If you do injure your ankle, you will need to back off on your training and rest until the pain and swelling subsides. Running too vigorously after an injury will only make it worse and will be more likely to lead to chronic ankle pain. And finally, talk to your primary care doctor or sports medicine specialist for more information about healthy running habits.