search

location

insurance

close

Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by licensed doctors

"Do I need anger counseling?"

Question

Since my divorce I feel so torn up inside. What should I do, who should I talk to?

Answer

First of all, I am very sorry to hear that you are dealing with a recent divorce. Divorce is often one of the most stressful experiences people will have in their lives, as it brings up many feelings of anger, depression, rejection, insecurity, and the like. I highly recommend that you find someone to talk to about these feelings.

See a doctor who can help

Find a Primary care-doctors near you

Sometimes, people will find that simply talking to supportive friends or family will be enough. However, you could also talk to a psychologist, counselor, or therapist, all of whom would be highly skilled at helping you sort out and deal with your feelings. I would not focus so narrowly on anger counseling. Although there may be a component of anger, it sounds like a larger perspective in your therapy or counseling sessions may be helpful to you. Also, sometimes people find that a divorce or another major stressful life event will trigger anxiety, an adjustment disorder, or even depression. If you feel that you have any symptoms consistent with these problems, then it will be helpful to talk to a psychologist or even a psychiatrist. If you are not sure where to turn to first, start by talking with your primary care doctor.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.