Why do I feel so depressed after my miscarriage?

I feel as though I've lost my entire world. I know it isn't my fault. Should I take medication?
Having a miscarriage is a very traumatic event. In many ways it is similar to losing a loved one. The trauma of this experience is often greater the longer the pregnancy has gone, and the more ready you were for the birth. In general, it is considered normal to be depressed and very sad about an event like this for at least a month. This is the time we call any reaction to an event like this normal bereavement. I would not be surprised if this event made you upset for an additional 3 months. If your symptoms of depression and sadness last longer than 6 months, it cannot be considered normal any more. If your miscarriage happened months ago, and you are still depressed, you should consider seeking medical attention. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. The two of you can discuss this traumatic event and how you have been dealing with it. It sometimes helps to discuss how you feel with your doctor or with someone that has gone through the same type of loss. Your doctor will then make a judgment call as to whether you reaction to this can still be considered bereavement, or if you need to start thinking about getting treated for depression.