ZocdocAnswersWill eating fewer calories help me lose weight?

Question

Will eating fewer calories help me lose weight?

I am 20 and trying to eat as little as possible to lose weight. Will this work?

Answer

Eating fewer calories is actually the only way to successfully lose weight. Weight loss requires that your body burn away fat stores instead of food that you eat on a day to day basis. In order for your body to turn to the fat stores, there must be a deficiency in calories needed for energy. Thus in order for weight loss to occur, you must consume less calories than you burn. This can be accomplished through a combination of exercise (to burn more calories) and eating less. I am a little uncomfortable with your statement of trying to eat as little as possible. There is such a thing as eating too little and losing too much weight. Weighing too little is called anorexia. This can be worse in some cases than weighing too much. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician (family doctor or internal medicine doctor). The two of you can discuss weight loss and how to consume less calories safely while avoiding deficiencies in nutrients you need. Perhaps you will need to take vitamin supplementation while you are on your diet. You should also discuss how much weight loss is safe for you and what your ideal weight should be. Good luck.