ZocdocAnswersIs 13 too young to see a gynecologist?

Question

Is 13 too young to see a gynecologist?

My daughters friends are seeing gynecologists. I think she is too young, but maybe she isn't?

Answer

Pediatricians are trained to diagnose and treat common problems of the reproductive tract within their young patient population. If your daughter is experiencing a gynecologic problem or if you have any specific questions about her health or reproductive system, then you should first talk to your child's pediatrician. If your daughter is having a problem for which the pediatrician cannot provide an answer or needs help in managing it, then a referral to a qualified pediatric gynecologist can be made. In general, it is not necessary for a child to see a gynecologist for routine health care unless a specific problem is encountered. As far as routine screening for cervical cancer, Pap smears should typically start at age 21 or within 3 years of first having intercourse, whichever comes earlier.