How should I prepare for my root canal?

I don't know what to do. Should I eat or not eat certain things?
First of all, I suggest that you ask these questions to the dentist that will be performing this procedure beforehand. In general, there is not a lot of preparation that is necessary for a root canal, but your dentist may have special instructions for you that you should follow. In general, you should come to your appointment on the day of your root canal wearing comfortable clothing. You should avoid eating right before coming, and you should avoid smoking and alcoholic beverages for at least 12 hours before the procedure and also after the procedure for whatever period of time your dentist recommends. Many dentist will want you to take some over the counter anti inflammatory and anti pain medications like ibuprofen or naprosyn on the day of the procedure prior to coming into the office. Ask your dentist if they would like you to do this. Finally, you should go over all of the other medications you take with your dentist prior to the procedure. In particular, it is important not to be taking blood thinning medications when you have the procedure done. If these blood thinners are medically important, you will need clearance from your primary care doctor prior to stopping them.

Other Dentists