ZocdocAnswersCan I have more than one root canal in a day?

Question

Can I have more than one root canal in a day?

Can I have three root canals in a day? I need three done. Will this be too painful and is it safe?

Answer

The best medical professional with whom to discuss questions about your teeth and dental procedures is your dentist. Regular dental exams are an important part of keeping your teeth healthy, and it is recommended that you see a dentist twice a year for general exams and a cleaning. Root canals are more invasive procedures, and depending upon the teeth involved, some dentists may refer you to an endodontist specialist. You should feel free to discuss the procedure and what it entails with your dentist who can either do the root canals himself or herself or refer you to a specialist. In general, it would probably be quite difficult to have 3 root canals done at once. The procedure involves numbing your tooth and gums as well as a sometimes lengthy amount of work with each tooth. It may not be practical for you to be in the dental chair for the length of time required to do all three root canals. In addition, it would probably be very difficult to have that much of your mouth anesthetized at once. In addition, as you point out, it would probably be quite painful after the anesthesia wore off. However, you can certainly discuss your questions and concerns with your dentist and come up with a course of action that is agreeable to you both.