How should I deal with the pain of a root canal?

I had a root canal in the past and now I need a new one. My last one hurt so much. How can I prepare for this new one?
I am sorry to hear that you are having so much trouble with your teeth. Infected or damaged teeth can be very painful. I think the right solution is definitely to go to your dentist to have this tooth problem definitively dealt with, even if this means a root canal. The longer you wait, the more likely you run the risk of worsening tooth pain or a more serious tooth infection. If you had a bad experience with your prior root canal, I highly suggest that you sit down and discuss this before the procedure with your dentist. A root canal, if it is properly performed, should not be painful at all. It is possible that you did not have an adequate anesthetic response to the medication that was used with the last procedure that you had. One possible way forward would be to look at the records of that last procedure with your dentist to determine what pain management and anesthetic approach was used. Based on this, your dentist will be able to help you determine whether a different approach, including perhaps a stronger or different anesthetic or even, perhaps, a deeper level of sedation might be needed for this procedure.

Other Dentists