ZocdocAnswersIs insomnia normal?

Question

Is insomnia normal?

Is it something I should just deal with? I hate not sleeping. I always feel tired.

Answer

Insomnia is never normal. Multiple well designed studies have shown that we need between 7 and 9 hours a sleep per night, or we suffer significant mental decline. If you feel like you're not getting enough sleep, then you most likely are not functioning as well as you could be. Insomnia is caused may many different problems. Often it is due to depression. If you have been feeling down lately and haven't been able to enjoy anything you used to enjoy, then you may be depressed. Insomnia can be caused by the frequent awakenings from needing to urinate to feeling uncomfortable. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. The two of you can discuss in depth your sleep schedule an habits and find out what is the most likely driver of your insomnia. If your insomnia is due to depression, then your doctor can begin treatment or refer you to a psychiatrist for further evaluation. If your doctor feels your insomnia is due to a neurological problem, you may warrant referral to a neurologist. If the problem can't be found (as is often the case), then your doctor may prescribe you a mild sleep aide to help you initiate and maintain sleep and begin getting more rested. Good luck.