ZocdocAnswersDo people who live in the north suffer from insomnia more?

Question

Do people who live in the north suffer from insomnia more?

It seems as though a lot of the people I know in the south don't have trouble sleeping. I haven't had a good night's sleep in as long as I remember. Should I move?

Answer

Insomnia is a sleep problem that many people suffer from. So far there has been no studies that have shown that people that live in the south suffer from insomnia more than people in the north. Insomnia can have many causes. When one of my patients reports insomnia, the first question I have is whether they have trouble initiating sleep, or whether they have trouble going back to sleep after waking up in the middle of the night. Depression or other mood problems can sometimes cause early morning awakenings and insomnia. Sometimes people that drink coffee or soft drinks in the afternoon or evening can have trouble getting to sleep. This is because caffeine can cause difficulties with initiating sleep. Some patients have problems with their thyroid gland that prevent adequate sleep. There are many other reasons that are too numerous to list here. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician (such as your family doctor). He or she will be able to listen to your description of your sleep problems and determine why you are having trouble getting enough sleep. If your doctor has trouble figuring out your situation, then you may warrant referral to a sleep medicine specialist. Good luck.