ZocdocAnswersIs it safe for my period to last more than seven days?

Question

Is it safe for my period to last more than seven days?

I had my third child in december. My tubes were tied also and I get really big clots and sometimes it will last the seven days then come back in two to three days like brown blood

Answer

This is a concerning symptom. I would recommend that you discuss this with your OB/GYN. While likely a part of normal changes after your pregnancy, this extended bleeding length can be a sign of other worrying problems that should be ruled out. Talk to your OB/GYN. The menstrual period occurs at the end of a women's cycle when the lining of the uterus (known as the endometrium) falls off. This normally lasts 3-4 days, although is highly variable among women. The purpose of the endometrium is to sustain a possible fetus -- so if there is no fetus it will fall off -- giving rise to the bleeding of the period. Excess bleeding during a period is known as menorhagia. It appears you are experiencing menorrhagia. Bleeding in between periods (bleeding of the cycle of say every 28 days) is known as metorrhagia. You may be experiencing this as well. The combination is known as menometorhagia. This problem is often just a reflection of the changing hormones in your body. Known as dysfunctional uterine bleeding -- it really is unclear what causes this but it is not really a worrisome symptom. However, we can only say this is the case if we rule out some bad problems. These include blood that is too thin, uterine fibroids, or other hormonal problems. Please talk to your OB/GYN.