Can a breast biopsy result be inconclusive?

The doctors said my biospy was inconclusive more test needed I thought doing a biospy gives you a yes or no answer.
I am sorry to hear that you are dealing with this issue. It sounds like you are being evaluated for potential breast cancer, and this can be a very stressful time. Make sure to communicate closely with your doctor to get your questions answered as you proceed. There are many reasons that a breast biopsy could be inconclusive. This could be because the amount of tissue that was obtained was not sufficient to reach a conclusion (for example, if you had a needle biopsy, this can sometimes happen). Alternatively, it could be because the tissue had some abnormalities or irregularities in it that were of unclear significance. Your doctor will work closely with the pathologist who examined the biopsy sample and also potentially with a surgeon to determine what the next step is. Sometimes unclear biopsy results can be sorted out by performing additional analyses of the sample. Sometimes, a period of observation of the breast lump may be necessary, and sometimes an additional biopsy may be required. Your doctor will be able to work with you through these possibilities and will make recommendation to you on how next to proceed with the workup. Good luck.

• Dr. Robert Baratz
    Dr. Robert Baratz MD, DDS
    759 Granite St.
    Braintree, MA 02184
  • Dr. Paul Leitner
    Dr. Paul Leitner MD
    8540 South Sepulveda Blvd
    Los Angeles, CA 90045
  • Dr. Brian Price
    Dr. Brian Price MD
    3607 Manor Rd
    Austin, TX 78723