ZocdocAnswersShould you have a ultrasound if your test result comes back negative?

Question

Should you have a ultrasound if your test result comes back negative?

I'm late on my period and i have the symptoms of early pregnancy but my home pregnancy test came back neg. if i am im 4 weeks today.

Answer

You should only have an ultrasound if your pregnancy test comes back positive. This is because the pregnancy test becomes positive weeks before anything is visible in your uterus by ultrasound. For now, if your pregnancy test is negative, and you followed the instructions correctly on the test box, then you are probably not pregnant. The only exception to this rule is if you have taken the test too early. Usually the test takes 1 to 2 weeks after conception to become positive. If you are exactly 4 weeks, then the test should be positive, but you may be a few days away from it turning positive. If it has been more than two weeks since you had intercourse, then the negative test probably means that you are not pregnant. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OBGYN. You should be seen anyway for your period disturbance. Your OBGYN will first perform a pregnancy test in his or her office. While these tests are not any better than a home pregnancy test, they do eliminate the possibility that you did the test incorrectly. If this test is negative, and you get your period, then probably nothing is wrong. If the negative and you don't get your period, you may need further testing. Good luck.