ZocdocAnswersWhy would my period stop for 12 months?

Question

Why would my period stop for 12 months?

Am from jamaica and am 17, i have not seen my peroid for 12months now!

Answer

Any prolonged period of amenorrhea (missing your period) should be discussed with your health care provider. There are many causes, and some of them are as simple as stress or other outside influence, but others can be serious and indicate a lack of health in other areas of your life. One of the first questions will deal with your weight and physical activity level. Either overweight or very thin women are prone to missing periods due to the hormonal changes that weight can have on other organ systems in the body. In the same manner, too much physical activity with or without adequate nutrition (as with gymnasts) can also lead to periods of time without a menstrual cycle. Additionally, medications, family history, personal medical history, and many other things can lead to changes in your cycle. Many of these will originate in the ovaries, while others will stem from changes in the regulatory hormones emitted by parts of your brain. With any prolonged period of amenorrhea, it is important to speak to your primary care doctor or OB/GYN about the symptoms that you are experiencing, as well as your health in general. Please arrange to do this at your earliest opportunity.