Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"How will a kidney with a cyst and slight enlargement affect my health?"

ZocdocAnswersHow will a kidney with a cyst and slight enlargement affect my health?


During a pelvic ultrasound they found an arcuate uterus so they went back to my CT (without contrast) from the previous year and found a duplicate collecting system on the left side (why it wasn't in the report is beyond me). Then I had an MRI and they were unable to see if the ureters were complete or where they were connected. They also found a slightly enlarged kidney and a cyst on the left kidney. Is it safe to wait 4 weeks to see a urologist? Also, can this explain my abdominal pain and distension, frequent urination, and lower back pain? I am a 37 year old female with an aortic aneurysm, bicupsid aortic valve, blood clotting disorder, polycystic ovarian syndrome, and a meningioma that has been removed. Are these things related? My father is in some sort of kidney failure (we do not speak) but not on dialysis yet and has never had a cyst.


It sounds like you are quite a complicated patient. Looking through your past medical history and current symptoms, your case deserves careful attention from your doctors in order to accurately answer these questions. I do think that I can help you sort some of these things out. First it is not clear to me whether your renal cyst, the redundant ureter, the aneurysm, aortic valve, blood clotting disorder, and PCOS are related. What I can say is that simple renal cysts are commonly observed in normal kidneys. Most of the time they are benign, do not have symptoms that are noticeable by the person that has them, and they rarely require treatment of any kind. This is not true for polycystic kidney's which can cause kidney failure (perhaps this is what your dad has?). Thus, the abdominal pain and distension and frequent urination are not likely to be caused by the kidney cyst. I suggest that specifically for the renal cyst that you schedule an appointment with a nephrologist. This is a medical doctor that has specialized in the kidneys. A urologist specializes in the bladder, urethra, and ureters which carry urine outside of the body. You may end up needing to see both types of doctors in the future. A urologist will be able to help you with your frequent urination.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.