What should I do for lytics lesions on my skull?

What do you do when Neurosurgeon says Lytic Lesions on your skull are nothing to worry about? I had recent bloodwork and it showed ANA score of *30. ANA Pattern *1:320. Total Proten 8.0. Calcium 10.4. SED RATE 28H. I know that the ANA scores were abnormal and shows signs of infection. My Infectious Disease doctor said this could be Lupus or Lymphomas like Non-Hodgkin's and that I must see a Rheumatologist. I have chronic Lymph Node inflammation in the Neck, such as Parotitis and swollen glands. Runnng a low fever for 2 weeks. Have chronic headaches and head pain to the touch for several months. The Lytic Lesion was detected on a CatScan after a car accident in 2009. I had an MRI in 2002 and I did not have one then. It is now June 2011. Recent CatScan, MRI and whole body BoneScan showed, I have two Lytic Lesions at this point. My Blood work is abnormal so clearly something is wrong. Can someone please help me? Should I see a different Neurosurgeon? I am 39 years old. Can anyone help me?
First of all I am sorry to hear that you have a lytic lesion on your skull. Anytime there is an abnormal finding on exam, or through medical testing it can raise many different questions that insight anxiety about what might have caused the abnormal finding/result. I am not saying that this is exactly what you are going through, but this can be a very common response by people in these situations, so if you feel this way it is completely normal. Lytic lesions refer to the appearance of the bone on an X-ray (typically a helical X-ray called a CT scan). Specifically "lytic" lesions are areas that have a small amount of bone missing in a particular area. They can be found in isolation, or can be multiple. There are many different things that can cause lytic lesions of bone. Also lytic lesions are not only found on the skull, but can be found on many of the bones within the body. I am sure that you have read some on the Internet and found some information about multiple myeloma which is one of the classic disease processes that can cause lytic bone lesions. However there are actually multiple processes that can cause lytic lesions one the bone. Whether it be from pressure directly on the bone from a mass lesion, or a less focal cause like a metabolic or hormonal cause. You have given some information about your work-up with some abnormal findings like an elevated ANA and Sed rate which are non-specific markers that tell me that you have some sort of an inflammatory process somewhere in your body. I would definitely recommend that you continue to pursue a thorough work-up with a second opinion, especially If you are dissatisfied with the opinion you got from neurosurgeon you saw. You may need to go back to your primary care physician and ask who they may recommend as a referral for a second opinion (this is sometimes needed for insurance approval). I would recommend discussing this with your primary care physician. I hope that this is helpful.

• Dr. Haitham Masri
    Dr. Haitham Masri MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    13530 Michigan Ave
    Dearborn, MI 48126
  • Dr. Rande Lazar
    Dr. Rande Lazar MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    791 Estate Place
    Memphis, TN 38120
  • Dr. Francisco Pernas
    Dr. Francisco Pernas MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    4302 Alton Road
    Miami, FL 33140