ZocdocAnswersWhy do I have blood in my stool when I'm on a solid food diet?

Question

Why do I have blood in my stool when I'm on a solid food diet?

I drink plenty of water. The blood is bright red in color. Doctor said it might be hemorroids but why is that there is blood after only changing my diet to solid foods for 2 days that the blood shows. I always drink plenty of fluids with solid foods and with the nutritional diet shakes.

Answer

There are many possible causes of blood in your stool. Bright red blood usually is indicative of bleeding from the more distal parts of your bowel (meaning farther from your mouth), including the extremely common cause of hemorrhoids that you have mentioned. Depending on the amount of blood, it can sometimes be from more proximal regions if their is large amounts. Usually, bleeding from the small bowel or stomach will present with dark stools instead of frank blood that you are describing. Despite the somewhat reassuring nature of the blood being bright red, it is important to talk to your doctor about your concerns (which it appears that you have already done). This is because of the many things that can cause bleeding and how serious they can sometimes be. Your question indicates that there have been changes in your diet. If you have discussed this with your doctor, then it is likely that these changes in your diet are not the cause of the blood. This is because, by the time the food reaches the large intestine, it is already churned and digested to a relatively soft liquid consistency. Any bleeding could also be related to the frequency of your bowel movements, as more frequent activity can sometimes exacerbate hemorrhoids. Please speak with your doctor.