ZocdocAnswersWhy do I get sick every morning?

Question

Why do I get sick every morning?

I WAKE AND GET SICK. every morning I wake up I get sick to my stomach and throw up

Answer

Nausea and vomiting in the morning every morning could be caused by many things, but the most important thing to note about these symptoms is that you should speak with a physician. This is because nausea and vomiting that persist beyond a brief period (1 or 2 days at most) could be a sign of medical problems that need further help and intervention, and significant weight loss could also be worrisome. With regards to your specific complaint of nausea and vomiting only in the morning, with the implication that it has been ongoing for some time, it is important to ask your gender. Obviously, if you are pregnant, morning sickness is a well described and common complaint that can be caused by changes in the hormone levels that accompany the physical changes of pregnancy. If you have started new medications or changed your diet in any way, that could also be a likely cause. Alcohol and other drugs or toxins can also be responsible for the symptoms you are describing, as can many other things. Please speak to your primary care doctor about your symptoms to make sure that there is nothing more serious that is causing you to keep having these sick feelings in the morning.