ZocdocAnswersWho should get a weight loss consultation?

Question

Who should get a weight loss consultation?

Is this the right kind of visit? I need support to keep going, so what kind of doctor should I see?

Answer

If you are looking to lose weight, then a weight loss consultation might be appropriate for you. There are many kinds of health professionals that can help you with this, which indicates how many people are trying to lose weight, and also that it can be difficult by yourself. Your primary care doctor would be a great place to start. As the physician that knows you and your dieting history best, he or she will be able to direct you to the appropriate specialist or professional from there. A great place to start after that might be meeting with a nutritionist or dietitian, who will be able to assess your current diet and make recommendations that can help. Exercise will be an important part of this as well. If this is not sufficient, then your primary doctor will consider other options as well. Specialists include endocrinologists, and, ultimately, bariatric surgeons who can provide surgical options as well (such as gastric bypass or gastric banding). Surgical options are excellent for some people, but are usually reserved for those who have failed more conservative measures and whose obesity is seriously impacting their health and quality of life. Please speak to your primary care doctor today.