ZocdocAnswersDo wisdom tooth abscesses take a long time to heal?

Question

Do wisdom tooth abscesses take a long time to heal?

I got an abscess after getting my wisdom teeth removed and it is some brutal pain. How long will it take to heal and go away?

Answer

There are many factors that go into determining how long it will take for a wound or abscess to heal. Abscesses are notoriously difficult to heal completely without some sort of drainage procedure, because antibiotics are usually not sufficient to penetrate this area. Very small abscesses are the occasional exception, and you should work closely with your doctor or dentist to make sure that yours is healing correctly. Other factors that make healing occur more slowly included diabetes, smoking, poor hygiene (which causes an increased bacterial load), and other wound specific variables. Your medical health professional should be able to provide you with more specific information, but if your pain does not improve within a few days, or if it actually gets worse, you should speak to your doctor or dentist. This could be a sign that you need further therapy to make sure that your problem doesn't spread to involve other parts of your face or body. Other concerning signs are a high fever, redness, or increasing swelling or discharge from the involved area. Please speak to your doctor or dentist about your current questions and concerns.