ZocdocAnswersWill ice help my wrist problems?

Question

Will ice help my wrist problems?

I get sore wrists after playing racquetball all week long. Should I ice them after my games?

Answer

Ice is a great way to decrease inflammation and alleviate sore muscles and joints. Sore wrists in sports players or others who use their hands extensively are very common, and can be a minor or major inconvenience. Unfortunately, the minor inconveniences can occasionally become major inconveniences if they persist or become worse. For many people, an over the counter anti-inflammatory such as a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory (NSAID, eg, ibuprofen or naprosyn) and ice are sufficient to alleviate the symptoms. Others find that they need something more powerful, and seek help from their primary care doctors or a sports medicine specialist. A good rule of thumb for all of us that engage in regular physical activity is that if something hurts, then you should avoid it. Regardless of where you fall on the spectrum and what it takes to relieve your pain, the fact that you have had continued wrist pain indicates that you should speak to your primary care doctor about your problem to see if there is anything that can be done to keep the problem from becoming worse, and to minimize the symptoms currently. Please speak to your doctor or a sports medicine specialist.