ZocdocAnswersShould I soak my hand in hot water if I am experiencing wrist problems?

Question

Should I soak my hand in hot water if I am experiencing wrist problems?

I am 33 and work an office job. By the end of the week my hands are hurting. How can I relieve my pain?

Answer

It sounds a lot like you are suffering from a repetitive wrist injury, which is very common in people who have office jobs and spent a lot of time working on the computer and similar tasks. First of all, you will need to work on getting your job environment set up to help you avoid repetitive use injury. This may include fixing the position of your office chair, using an ergonomic keyboard, etc. Second, you will need to rest from these types of activities if the pain is severe or limiting the use of your hands. I recommend seeing your primary care doctor as soon as possible, as they will be able to help you determine if the injury medically warrants modifying your job activities. Treatments for repetitive injuries to the wrist include rest, icing of the affected areas, and taking anti inflammatory medications like ibuprofen or naprosyn. Sometimes wrist bracing or splinting is also helpful. In more severe cases leading to carpal tunnel syndrome where symptoms do not resolve even with rest, sometimes referral to a wrist specialist is necessary. However, it doesn't sound like you are there yet, and probably talking to your primary care doctor is all you need to do at this point.