ZocdocAnswersCan sexual intercourse cause bleeding?

Question

Can sexual intercourse cause bleeding?

Sometimes I see a little blood on the bedsheets. Is this OK?

Answer

A small amount of bleeding after intercourse is quite common. There are 3 different places that you can bleed from after you have sex. 1. The Uterus - When you have your period, the bleeding is coming from the inner lining of the uterus. Sometimes this bleeding can show up after intercourse especially if you are 1 to 2 days before or after your period. 2. The Vagina - Bleeding from the vaginal wall can occur when after sex. This is usually because of inadequate lubrication. If this is what what causing your pain, I think that sex would be quite painful for you. 3. The Cervix - This is the most likely location to bleed after sex that is not associated with your period. The cervix contains many blood vessels that can bleed after sex. While this can be a normal occurrence, it should always be checked out by an OBGYN to make sure that the cervix is okay. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OBGYN. He or she can listen to your description of the bleeding and perform a pelvic exam to make sure that everything is okay. If the bleeding is coming from your cervix, your doctor will want to make sure that there are no abnormalities there that need attention.