ZocdocAnswersHow long will it take to heal from my chemical peel?

Question

How long will it take to heal from my chemical peel?

I know I'm not supposed to but I really love chemical peels and decided to get two in one weke. Now my face looks like a wreck. Is there anything I can do?

Answer

You should go see your doctor. You probably have a chemical burn of your skin from overdoing it with the chemical peels. There could be a risk of skin infection, scarring, or other damage and this needs to be checked out by your primary care doctor or dermatologist to see if there is something that needs to be done. In the meantime, you can take an antiinflammatory medication like ibuprofen for pain and you can also apply a thick moisturizing ointment (such as a perfume free petroleum) to any open or sore areas of the skin to keep it well hydrated and protected. In the future, you will need to follow appropriate safety recommendations regarding chemical peels. I would also recommend picking a different reputable cosmetologist, as it is not recommended under any circumstances to have multiple chemical peels in a week. In fact, if you have specific skin issues that you are trying to address (such as acne scars, wrinkles, etc) then I highly recommend that you go to see a dermatologist before continuing self treatment. They can provide you with a safe regimen that will help you avoid future disasters such as this one while also helping you get the results you want.