ZocdocAnswersIs there a way for my daughter to make her feet stop growing?

Question

Is there a way for my daughter to make her feet stop growing?

My daughter has gigantic feet. Size 9 and she's only 14. She feels embarrassed and I can't blame her. How can we tell her feet to stop growing? She's grown so much in the last year that I worry it's not safe, too. What should we do?

Answer

Everyone grows at a different rate, and girls, unfortunately in your case, often grow faster than boys early in life. The good news (depending on your point of view) is that your daughter's growth should begin slowing down in the near future, as her growth plates begin to fuse. A first step to answer your question about what can be done is to visit her pediatrician. He or she will have growth charts from your child's previous growth, and can confirm that she is growing at a steady rate rather than having a spurt that may indicate something irregular. If there are any concerns at that initial evaluation, your pediatrician may refer you to an endocrinologist or other specialist to determine if there is a reason for the extra growth. If there is, that can be corrected and the growth would be expected to normalize. Additionally, your pediatrician will be able to review the nutritional intake of your daughter to make sure she is healthy in other ways as well. Finally, provided that she is well and just growing quickly, your doctor will be able to discuss any options and their ramifications, and help answer your questions about how much more growth to expect. Please speak to your pediatrician.