ZocdocAnswersIs there a way to gain fat in my legs?

Question

Is there a way to gain fat in my legs?

I am a 24 year old girl with chicken legs. Can I gain weight on my legs somehow?

Answer

First of congratulation on having what sounds like a healthy body weight (most people are more concerned about slimming down their legs than the other way around)! It sounds like what you want to do is add some muscle mass to your legs, which is different than simply putting on weight or gaining fat. In order to do this, you will need to exercise. I highly recommend that you join a gym or consult with a personal trainer who will be able to give you advice about what types of exercise will be most likely to add muscle mass to your legs. If you do not have the time or resources to pursue this, then focus on exercises that work out the calf muscles (which is where the "chicken leg" problem tends to be focused). Bicycling is a good form of workout for this muscle group. Running stairs is also quite helpful, as it focuses most of the running motion into the calf muscles. If you also want to bulk up your thigh muscles, then you will want to add other exercises such as leg lifts and squats. As always, you should discuss with your primary care doctor whenever you have general health or fitness questions!