ZocdocAnswersDoes coffee make your teeth yellow?

Question

Does coffee make your teeth yellow?

I drink three cups of coffee a day and have noticed a significant dip in the whiteness of my teeth. Is there any way to keep drinking so much and not make my teeth worse?

Answer

In addition to coffee drinking, other major culprits in tooth yellowing including all forms of colas and smoking or other tobacco use. In order to lessen the staining of your teeth, ideally you would want to modify all of these habits. Brushing your teeth immediately after drinking coffee can help some, as it will prevent the staining chemicals from setting into your teeth. Other than this, your options include over the counter or dentist - administered tooth whitening treatments. Over the counter products including whitening toothpastes, whitening strips, and bleaching products. These products are generally safe, but they can sometimes increase tooth pain in sensitive individuals, and therefore cannot be tolerated by everyone. Furthermore, bleaching products can be irritating to the gums and other soft tissues in the mouth if not applied carefully. At your dentist's office, several other stronger bleaching products are available. These products are quite irritating and strong, and therefore can only be obtained in your dentist's office. Obviously they are more effective than the over the counter products, the disadvantages being cost and the fact that sometimes more than one treatment is require to achieve the desired results. Please talk to your dentist for more information about tooth whitening.