ZocdocAnswersCan I get an infection if I scratch my mosquito bite?

Question

Can I get an infection if I scratch my mosquito bite?

I scratched my bite and now its got sore and isn't healing. Was it infected? What should I do?

Answer

If you have a bite or any other concerning skin infection that appears to not be healing, you should speak to your doctor. While mosquito bites can often be red and angry for a short period of time, and can then be exacerbated the the scratching that is done to relieve the itch, if the site is getting worse or persists, please speak with your doctor. This could be a sign that the initial small wound from the break in the skin caused by the mosquito has become secondarily infected. As there are many bacteria that generally live on our skin, just waiting for a chance to get in, this is easy to have happen. Some of the first signs are redness, swelling, and pain, which are then followed by fever, chills, and other signs that there may be a bacteria that is invading and causing problems for your entire body. In this day and age of antibiotic resistant bacteria, there is the additional fear that any infection may be caused by a resistant bug such as MRSA, which require powerful antibiotics (and, occasionally, surgical drainage) to heal completely. Please see your doctor if your wound is getting worse or has not healed.