ZocdocAnswersWill medication help me handle the pain of a breakup?

Question

Will medication help me handle the pain of a breakup?

I really feel like I'm losing my grip. I go to work and don't feel a thing. Should I look into medication to handle this pain? I've tried talking to my friends and it just isn't helping.

Answer

Breakup and other relationship problems are a source of severe psychological and emotional stress, and I am sorry to hear that you are going through this right now. As you have already done, the first steps when dealing with this kind of stress are to reach out to friends and family, who are your best first line of support and assistance. If this doesn't work, then you may want to talk to a counselor or a psychologist. If you are not sure how to go about finding a psychologist or counselor, you could talk to your primary care doctor who may be able to help directly or refer you to someone who can help. Therapy with a psychologist or counselor is a very helpful way to deal with this kind of stress. The therapist will be able to help yo deal with the self esteem issues and the negative thinking which are common with this kind of experience. This may be enough to help you get things back on track. Occasionally, depression or anxiety or another mood problem may be triggered by the breakup. In these cases you may need to take a medication, but usually not right away and not until exploring other coping options first. Talk to your doctor for more information.