ZocdocAnswersCould contact lenses lead to more frequent eye infections?

Question

Could contact lenses lead to more frequent eye infections?

I got my first eye infection three weeks after buying my first contacts. I take them out every night for cleaning. Why did I get this infection?

Answer

An eye infection is an emergency. If you think you may have an infection, you need to call an ophthalmologist immediately if an eye that is painful and red, with blurred vision, does not improve after lens removal. Prompt diagnosis is important for success treating infections as serious as corneal infections. Corneal infections, if not treated promptly, can cause the scarring of the cornea and lead to a loss of vision. Contact lens wear in general is safe and comfortable with sensible lens care and handling. Still, your eye is a delicate organ, and the lens is a foreign body. Since lens wear exposes the eye to extra handling, people who wear contact lens have a greater risk of eye problems, including serious problems like infections. In most cases, eye problems come from drying of the eyes, rubbing of the lens against the eyes, or reactions to the solution used in the lens care. As such, contact lens wearers may have a higher risk of conjunctival infection and the more serious corneal infection than non-wearers. If you continue wearing contact lenses, you owe it to yourself to take good care of your eyes and have regular check-ups. Best of luck.