ZocdocAnswersIs the pill safer than the Nuva Ring?

Question

Is the pill safer than the Nuva Ring?

I am really worried about developing blood clots. I am a runner and it's hard to tell if I have a tight calf or if something's actually wrong. Which should I do?

Answer

All forms of hormonal birth control (the Nuva Ring and the pill alike) do increase your risk of developing a blood clot. However, this risk is low in most people. The one exception is in smokers over the age of 35. If this describes you, then you should probably not be using the Nuva Ring or any other form of hormonal birth control. While symptoms of a blood clot can include a tight calf, the vast majority tight calves are not blood clots. The symptoms of a blood clot are often subtle. One leg may be come more swollen then another. These symptoms are more likely to occur after a prolonged time of immobility such as a long flight oversees or a long car ride (not after a run). I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OBGYN. The two of you can discuss the risk of a blood clot with the Nuva Ring combined with any other risk factor you have. If you are a smoker, you doctor will likely as you if you want to quite and provide you with the means to do so. Otherwise, I think you will be satisfied that your risk is low enough not to worry while you are on the birth control.